Tips and stuff you won’t find in the manual, collected from the xda-developers forum, personal experimentation and other sources. Please use only tips you understand – if you don’t know what a
factory reset means, you do not want to find out :)
„Pinch“ means using 2 fingers to zoom in our out (Google this if you don’t know the word). The buttons are depicted here:
- Use two fingers to scroll until fingers are released.
- Use three fingers to scroll fast until top/bottom.
- Phone wake up: Via home or power.
- Hold menu: Quick access Android search.
- Double click home: Quick access voice commands.
- Screenshot: Press home and power simultaneously. Screenshots are saved in /sdcard/ScreenCapture/
- Multiple home screens: Touch the dots to switch directly to a screen or hold and drag left/right to scroll very fast.
- Changing shortcuts at the bottom: Click „Applications“ (bottom right), then menu, click „Edit“: Now change the three (left) icons via drag & drop. Afterwards click menu and choose „Save..“.
- Quick brightness change: Hold the notification bar (on the top) and drag left/right to modify brightness (if not set to auto).
- Quick view current date: Hold the notification bar (on the top).
- Pinch home screen to view all home screens and add/delete them.
- Pinch application screen to view all application screens and reoder them.
- Set background image for lock screen: When changing your desktop background image, there are two buttons, choose the right one (smaller area) and save. Now you‘ll be asked to use this image for the lockscreen too.
- E-Mail: Pinch in the overview list to fold/unfold by date.
- E-Mail: Click longer on a date (either the sent date or a date in the email text): Create a new calendar event for this date.
- Contacts: Drag left over a contact to send SMS, drag right to call.
- Keypad: Use the letters on number keys to type a name, the triangle on the right shows how many matching contacts are found, clicking on it reveals them.
- Camera: Change shortcut buttons by clicking menu, “Edit”, then modify shortcut buttons via drag&drop. You can configure shortcuts for picture and video mode independently.
- Camera: Pinch to zoom in/out.
- Browser: Pinch to view all tabs/windows.
- Browser: Go to “about:debug” via address bar. Now you have additional options when pressing the menu (at the bottom)
- Browser: Go to “about:useragent” via address bar. Now you can modify the user agent string.
- Video player: Drag left/right to Fast forward/Rewind.
- Video player: Power locks/unlocks the screen.
- Calendar: Pinch in month view to get an overview, swipe left/right to change the year.
- Settings: Open Settings/About Phone/Battery Use and click on the graph at the top to zoom and view more details in a timeline.
- Easter egg from Google: Go to preferences, about phone, click some times on “Android Version” (try multiple times)
Feature discoveries – xda-developers)
- If you get an error when trying to uninstall an app: Did you assign the app as “Device Admin”? If so, you have to remove this before uninstalling (Settings/Location and Security/Device Admin).
- Samsung offers a free service to track and control a lost or stolen mobile: Enable “Remote Access” in Settings/Location and Security. Then login at www.samsungdive.com (with your Samsung account data) to locate and remote control your phone.
Factory reset (Everything will be deleted!)
Via these three ways:
- Turn phone off, press and hold: volume Up + home + power.
Use volume keys to navigate up/down, home to execute.
- In the phone keypad: Enter *2767*3855#
- Menu: Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset.
Codes (enter via phone keypad, the ones below work for me)
*#0*# LCD Screen test
*#06# Show IMEI Number
*#2222# HW Version
*#1234# Phone info
*#34971539# Camera Firmware
*#9900# Sysdump (Logfiles etc.)
*#0228# Battery diagnostics
*#7284# Phone utility
*#7353# Function testing
*#9090# Service Mode
*#*#197328640#*#* Service Mode Menu
*2767*3855# Factory Reset (not tested.. :)
Also like to have an avatar image? Get one at gravatar.com (free) »